Tuesday, December 8, 2009

almost better Tuesday

I stayed home today to spend time with Kane.  He barely moved for most of the day.  Last night, he was mostly immobile and slept just inside the back door.  I've stopped giving Kane a chicken wing for breakfast in case he isn't able to go out to do a wee or poo, which has been the case lately.  I did give Kane some water as he can become dehydrated from panting.  Later in the morning, Kane wanted to move closer to me by the couch, so I helped him walk over.  Kane didn't move for most of the day.

Later in the afternoon, Kane stood up by himself and walked to the deck to drink from his big water bowl.  I was on the telephone and was taken by surprise.  After his drink, Kane wanted to go down the steps. This time I carried him down.  He did his wee, but no poo.  Then I helped him up the steps but he did most of the work.

Kane ate most of his dinner, albeit a reduced amount along with his medication.

Later, I was inside and while Kane was on the deck, he went down the steps by himself.  I didn't see and he seemed okay.  Lately, he would collapse at the bottom but not this time.  After another wee, he came back up unassisted.  Good dog.

Perhaps he has just been sore and needed a week to rest his joints. I'm hopeful, but will ask the vet tomorrow.  It may just be a momentary reprieve.  Kane like most German Shepherds is stoic and will put up with a lot of pain.

Today, later today, has been much better than the last week.

No comments: