Wednesday, December 9, 2009

some extra time

Last night, Kane slept just inside the back door instead of in the hallway.

This morning, he wanted to lay close to me by the couch and we waited until the visit by the vet.

Margie came over first and then the vet arrived. It was also another vet as our regular vet doesn't make house calls. The vet determined that aside from Kane's mobility due to arthritis, he is in reasonable condition. His shoulder muscles have atrophied a little though and unlikely to rebuild.

It was a decision that I couldn't make given Kane's recent improvement, so the vet suggested Previcox instead of the Metacam that he has been taking. The Previcox is also in tablet form, so is more convenient. Kane was also given a Pentosan injection (as Cartrophen). The vet said that Kane would either improve, but if not, the treatment has bought him an extra week. It was good to have Margie's support as I was rather emotional.

This evening, I gave Kane raw kangaroo mince for dinner (about 200g) along with some cooked brown rice. He ate it all, but not the dry food that I gave him afterwards. Though he did finish the dry food half an hour later. Kane is no longer a gobbler of food, though he does like the ham and cheese that I have been giving to him during the day.

Kane also managed to walk down the deck steps and I only helped lift his back legs off the last step (to minimise impact as he usually jumps down). He did a big wee and I made him walk further down the back of the yard when he finally did a poo. I finally worked out that walking was part of the process. Duh! Kane then walked up the deck steps mostly unassisted. Good dog!

I think it was the right decision for now. If the vet had come on Monday when Kane was at his worst, I most likely would have agreed to the other option. I'm glad to still have Kane a bit longer.










No comments: