Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the major vet visit

This morning when I let Kane out, he still had trouble negotiating the deck steps and I had to help him up.

I took Kane to the vet this morning. Thankfully, some local taxis do allow canine passengers. On the way over, the driver thought Kane could sit on the floor by the front seat. No way could he fit in such a small space, but he allowed Kane on the back seat as I brought a large cotton throw rug.

When we arrived, Kane stepped up on the scales. His weight was 37.8 kg, so he has maintained a good weight over the past 6-7 months. Kane doesn't have much body fat so the Rob the vet suggested he could eat more, and even carbohydrates.





The vet started Kane on another course of Pentosan 100 (sodium pentosan polysulfate) injections for his arthritis, with another three injections over the next three weeks. Kane is now also on a non-steroid anti-inflammatory medication called Metacam (meloxicam), indefinitely and taken with food.

The vet also thought that Kane's back legs, particularly the rump, had lost some condition with lack of use, until I explained that we have been walking. There is a delicate balance between not aggravating arthritis and walking to maintain muscle condition. Hopefully with the current treatment we can build up Kane's leg muscles again.

I mentioned to Rob the vet that Kane was still perky even though his joints were making him struggle, and Rob agreed that Kane still has a lot of spark. He also remarked that Kane was the oldest canine he's seen. Many close to his age suffer from dementia.

After we returned home, I gave Kane a cup of kibble (Lola had the last chicken wing) and went to work.

After I returned from work, Kane and I went on the small block walk. It took 17 minutes, like during the hot summer.

I then left Kane in and took Lola on a walk, firstly around the triple small block and then we continued towards the woods before I thought better and turned up an alley. Unfortunately, Lola did not agree and sat down in protest at this change in direction. Golden Retrievers can be stubborn! I finally coaxed her to follow my lead. Our walk was probably five times the distance but took 27 minutes.

After Kane's dinner, I let him out the back while I went inside to fill up Lola's bowl with her kibble (as she had finished her 700g can). When I went outside, I saw Kane climbing up the deck steps by himself. It was a great sight to behold!

Still, I will construct a ramp for him in the next few days.