Friday, July 31, 2009

Another elderly German Shepherd, and finally a puppy party

This morning before I left for work, I gave Kane a quarter cut beef marrow bone as usual. He gnawed on it a bit while I was there, then realised I was going to leave for work. As I was locking up the back door, Kane went from the deck to the yard looking out from the side gate. When I left the house, I made sure that I gave him a wave.

When I returned home from work, thankfully Kane was not still behind the gate. There was still some light so we went on our walk straight away. As we passed the house next door we saw another German Shepherd across the road. I waved and we crossed to say hello. It was another elderly GS called Jody and she was 15 years old. Kane was happy to meet Jody, who was very friendly, while I chatted to her person about diets and arthritis. Jody still manages to walk well for up to 45 minutes at a time, but needs help climbing.





After the chat, we continued on our walk through the alley of the single small block. Then we crossed the road and headed to Cook oval. There was a puppy party on and Kane was pleased to catch up with many of his canine friends including Kel the blond Labrador, Molly the black Labrador, Tosca, Margot, Lucy and the two Shelties called Desker and Tully. It soon turned cold and dark and most went home, except for Kel and Molly. Then Kel left so we accompanied Molly and her person to Cook shops. Afterwards, we walked most of the way back together and Molly and her person turned off home before we crossed the road to our block.

It was a good 50 minute outing, which we hadn't done for some time.




No comments: